zaterdag 2 januari 2010

Alcohol and writers

Why is it that most great writers were practically alcoholics?

A small example :

Lord Byron - “Man being reasonable must get drunk; The best of life is but intoxication; Glory, the grape, love, gold."

Dylan Thomas - "An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you do."

Edger Allen Poe - "I have absolutely no pleasure in the stimulants in which I sometimes so madly indulge. It has not been in the pursuit of pleasure that I have periled life and reputation and reason. It has been the desperate attempt to escape from torturing memories, from a sense of insupportable loneliness and a dread of some strange impending doom."

William Faulkner - "First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."

Ernest Hemingway - "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."

It's always been that writing such great works must be a job of mad men. And the only way mad men can calm their thoughts is through the use of alcohol (Jim Morrison might be a great example as well).
As I write this I also have consumed a few glasses of Jack Daniels, not because it may or may not help me write, but because I just like bourbon.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten